Donating a couple of hours as a volunteer can make all the difference
We are always looking for volunteers and always have lots of opportunities on our community-based leisure activities, in our office, working with Children's Services and other activities.
We are passionate about supporting people with learning disabilities and are looking for people with the same passion who want to make a difference to the peoples’ lives they are supporting.
Whatever skills, ideas and abilities you have, we want them. We can help you put them to good use. In return, we will provide you with a friendly environment where you can build and develop new skills, gain experience and make new friends.
“Volunteering at Barnet Mencap is so fun. You get to meet lots of different people and all the friendly staff.”
“Volunteering at Barnet Mencap is really good. It’s given me the opportunity to learn how to work as a team and to make new friends”
Barnet Mencap runs a variety of different activities supporting children and adults with learning disabilities. Get involved by giving a few hours of your time to support our Sessional workers to facilitate the activities.
- Community Opportunities Project (weekdays, weekends and evenings): Enables people with learning disabilities and/or autism to go on a range of community-based social and leisure activities including theatre trips, football sessions and cooking classes.
- Short Breaks (evenings and weekends): offers a short break service to adults with a learning disability. We provide a relaxed atmosphere where we offer a variety of activities including trips to the cinema and bowling.
Children & young people
- Open Door play sessions (school holidays): Activities for children aged 0-5 with additional needs and their siblings such as: soft play days, picnics and farm trips.
- Open Door drop-in (Thursday’s term-time): Drop-in sessions for parents of under 5s with any special needs and their siblings. Support and advice is offered.
- Take A Break (weekends and evenings): respite care service that offers a short break to families who have children aged from 3 to 18 years old with special needs.
- 11-18 year activities (school holidays): Mixed ability activities for children/young people aged 11-18 years old during the school holidays such as sailing, cinema trips and bowling.
FUNDRAISING AND EVENTS VOLUNTEER
Donations to Barnet Mencap make a big difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities in Barnet and their families.
You will help the team maximise fundraising by supporting our fundraisers with:
- Tin Collecting at venues such as shopping centres and tube stations
- Raising awareness on stalls at different events
- Organising and running fundraising events such as family fun days and quiz nights
- Publicising Barnet Mencap and our events through distributing flyers and hanging posters, etc.
Are you a friendly and organised person that likes to meet new people? If so, you would be great at volunteering on our reception. Main duties include:
- Welcoming visitors
- Answering the phones
- Supporting staff with simple administration tasks
Are you an organised and motivated person with a particular skill such as IT, finance or planning? We are looking for volunteers to assist the office team with a range of administration duties including:
- Daily clerical tasks
- Finance support
- Data input
- Distribution of promotional materials